Friday 18 August 2017

KOOKIE



                                                            KOOKIE  
                                               [With apologies to C.J.Dennis, one of our best]


  There she is again, perched on that post,
  A blue-winged kookaburra, starin' with eyes wide.
  She wouldn't want me coffee, but maybe it's me toast
  What I'm eatin' as I break me fast outside.

  Blow me down! She's leavin' her seat
  And takes to wing to land right by.
  I says: "G'day, can't give you any meat,
  But I got some eggs about to fry".

  She seemed to nod and I goes to the kitchen;
  Did me eggs with an extra one.
  "If it's not to yer likin', don't go bitchen".
  She left the yolk for the albumen.

  Surprised me that; but wants her protein,
  Building up for a nesting spring.
  Now it's morning, night and in between.
  I'll feed 'er up, 'fore she takes wing.

  Dunno why she picked me from the rest.
  Maybe she knows I won't get all upitee
  When she breaks our bond to go nest.
  Probly knows I know that love sets free.
  Maybe.

The Classics of C.J.Dennis can be read Here .......https://www.poetrylibrary.edu.au/poets/dennis-c-j-clarence-james


C. J. Dennis

No comments:

Post a Comment